Covers: Mistakes Made and Lessons Learned

BookBrushImage-2020-1-26-13-1256_small

Okay, I’ll admit it – I made a mistake on my covers. But I’m not so proud that I can’t admit it.

I thought it would be really cool to have the series listed as “The First, The Second,” and so on, rather than “Book One, Book Two,” and so on. It seemed to fit the series and it would make it stand out, right?

Wrong. People hated it. It didn’t make sense to them. When I posted it in a cover group, several people stated that they wouldn’t look beyond that subtitle to read the blurb. I had to admit defeat and ask my cover artist to change the series identifiers to just numbers. So there you go: it doesn’t always pay to be unique.

Another thing we changed was making the titles stand out more. People said that they had trouble reading the actual title, which makes sense. Again, I had liked the transparency – I thought it looked spooky – but opinions were in and I had to request the change.

Together, these weren’t big changes, but I offered to pay my artist a little extra to make them, since we had previously decided the covers were already final. And because artists should be paid for work!

Anyway, here’s the cover for the second in the series – er, that is, book two. The series will be released starting May 12th – check out the start of it here!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s